OPERATIONS CLERK (Nairobi)
GENERAL AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY
Prepares and scrutinises all the paperwork in the Customs and Our Operations files making sure that files and full and complete before the approval /passing of entries. And that the documents are adequate to perform customs clearance smoothly.
Releases Delivery Orders from the various shipping lines and any other carriers.
Makes sure to promptly process all documents through customs and the other stake holders involved in the clearance of cargo from the Airport, Port, etc.
Co-ordination of Airfreight, Sea freight, Road, Transit and local loading for Nairobi, Mombasa, upcountry, border stations and beyond.
Responsible for all document processing in Nairobi including file opening, customs entries, CFS entry lodging and processing, Gate pass preparation, etc.
Ensuring compliance with all governments, other stakeholders and Customs regulations.
Maintaining proper records in operations and customs files.
SPECIFIC AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Opening of all job files for Airfreight, Sea freight Imports and Export jobs as well as Road Service activities undertaken by the company.
- Making follow ups for arrival of shipments and informing the Operations/ Declaration Officer of the same.
- Coordination of documentation with both customs and other relevant parties who include and are not limited to CFS/KPA/ Port Health/ KEBS/ Banks / Shipping lines, GBHL etc.
- Responsible for collection of shipping line Invoices and processing of the Delivery Order.
- Ensuring all shipments are released with customs within 24 hours of lodging the files with customs and as per the standard level agreements (SLA)
- Monitor clearance of local, transit and transshipment cargo to make sure cleared within the free period. Follow up till delivery and make sure Invoice done by submitting all the disbursements and costing immediately shipments depart Mombasa for final delivery.
- Making sure to update the Operations / Declaration Officer on a daily basis and as demanded from time to time.
- Handling all contact with Customs and other stakeholders and informing Management on any difficult situations for intervention.
- Ensuring that all statutory laws governing cargo clearance as stipulated in the government acts are strictly adhered to.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS
- Ensure SOPs in place for all products undertaken and adhered to.
- Ensuring all cargo cleared within the shortest period and storage free where documents provided in advance.
- Ensure no offence from customs due to wrong handling of shipments and staff mistakes.
- Making sure that costs are kept to the lowest possible level so that Profit levels are maximized.
- Full and Comprehensive Understanding of the clearance process for Import and Export cargo for local and transit service in airfreight, sea freight and road freight.
- Basic understanding of the Customs ACT as well as EACCMA regulations.
- Proper understanding of the Management of Bonds.
- Strong attention to detail especially during lodgement of files as well as during verification of shipments.
- Strong Interpersonal and Communication Skills.
- Ability to indulge third party stakeholders to the highest Authority in Customs, KEBS, Port/ CFSs/ Shipping lines, etc.
RELEVANT EXPERIENCE/ COMPETENCIES
- 4-5 years’ experience in the clearance of cargo at the Airport, ICD, Port/ CFS/ Oil Terminal / GBHL, etc.
- Diploma in Clearing & Forwarding is preferred
- Previous handling and cancellation of bonds
- East Africa Customs Freight Forwarding Practicing (EACFFPC) Certificate from KESRA
Submit your Applications plus CV to email@example.com
Deadline for applications is 9th March, 2018.
Please note that we will never contact you via text message or ask for any information or money prior to the interview. You will have a formal email sent to attend an interview if successful.